Monday, September 12, 2016

US Space and Rocket Center

So we decided to take the 2 hour dive to Huntsville AL and go to the US Space and Rocket Center. The kids love museums and especially space. I loved that it was FREE thanks to out ASTS reciprocal membership. We got there and were in awe looking at all the rocket models they have all over outside. We went inside and the first thing we came across was a little live science lesson. We of course stopped in to see what it was all about and all the kids were able to go up on stage using the huge air cannon to knock cups off adult's heads. I took some videos so I don't have many photos but they all had a blast. Eric was going to sit it out till he saw how fun it looked and quickly joined his siblings on stage. 

Ashton knocking a cup off someone's head. 

After the science show we went in the the room that was filled with all sorts of Archimedes' scientific concepts. We were only able to play in here a bit because a school group came in. We don't do crowds. LOL Especially full of school kids. We have come across some VERY polite groups and I always make a point to tell the chaperones how great their kids are. However, we have come across some VERY VERY rude kids too. Ones that I have watched push Zoey, take things from her, break things one purpose, ect. So we just avoid them as much as possible in case now. 

William in a Greek bath. 

William and Zoey building things with foam. Yes there was lots of hand sanitizer used after. 

They had a bunch of shapes and tape here for you to try out. 

Ashton trying his hand at it.

We then came across the activity I knew everyone was excited for, THE ROCK WALL! I had researched the museum before so I knew it was here and had made the kids put on shoes to come here. Usually we are a flip flop family but that has burned us at a museum before when we needed sneakers so I try and find out before hand if we need them. This rock wall is INCLUDED in the price of getting in! You can climb 3 times per turn and if there are not a lot of people they just ask you wait 20 mins before going again. Eric had been rock climbing once before with Boy Scouts so he was our resident expert. William was a bit nervous but I told him I would go with him. So first up was Eric and Ashton. The walls range from difficulty 1 on the left up to 12 on the right. Ashton picked level 1 and Eric did level 12. Ashton made it a tad up before he dropped and Eric went about half way before dropping to do an easier pass. They took their 3 turns and then it was time for William and I to go. Sadly there are no pictures, there IS a video but you will NEVER EVER EVER see it. OMG it is so not good. I did level 2 and William tried 3. We both made it abut 1/3 of the way up. Me a little more then he did. I decided I was done but then I had to get down..... yeah yelling JUST LET GO to someone (Me to Ashton) is A LOT easier then just letting go. Sorry Ashton. So I flopped gracefully fell down and took my other 2 turns. By this time a large group had appeared so I ended my last turn before I embarrassed myself any further. It was a blast but WAY more work then I thought it would be. Holy workout batman. The kids went again later in the day but I decided the bench looked a lot more fun LOL 

Eric climbing 

After the climb we found the Humvee simulator. It fits 4 people but the driver does not get to play so it was perfect for Zoey. She was so excited she was big enough to go on. It is basically a video game. The kids liked it but some of the remotes were having problems during the game. 

Getting ready to play

Eric playing the simulator

We were able to go through a little tour of the space station model they have. It is true to size and shows things like where they sleep, go to the bathroom, work, ect. It is a guided tour and takes maybe 20 minutes. It was really cool. After they have a few photo ops like this one of the viewing portal. The kids tried to make it look like they were floating in zero gravity. 


Yes, this was the best picture I got. LOL

We then went outside to go to the other building that help the Saturn V rocket. It is actually in pieces in the ceiling! Like the REAL ONE. Outside is a model but inside is the real deal. This building had a little play area for little ones which Zoey enjoyed. There was also something you could stand by to see what it felt like when they first had the blaster fire without a malfunction. It was kinda disappointing. It was not as loud as we thought it would be and we thought the little platform would vibrate. This building also has a lot of displays showing NASA's contribution to space exploration. It was a nice exhibit. 
The REAL Saturn V

Liftoff in 5,4,3,2,1

We then went outside to see the displays out there. There is a kid play area out here too but it was hot and the only one small enough was Zoey so we skipped it. Eric and Ashton rode on the G-Force Accelerator. Basically the Gravatron from when we were young at the carnival. This one was all boring safe and stuff. It had seatbelts, and was enclosed, and if you yell stop they stop it. 

We went back inside and played with some other stuff we wanted to go back to. The kids were not ready to go home. There were a few things we didn't get to do (one simulator outside had a line of Space Camp kids) or do as much as we wanted the first time so we tried to hit them again.

All in all we had a GREAT day and closed the place down. All in all we spent about 5 hours there. I thought it would be to long since most people said it only took them about 3 hours to see it all but my kids really like museums. We will definitely go back if we are within a couple hours of there.  I told Eric I even would have PAID for admission there. It is VERY rare for me to say that. Admission for 5-6 people anywhere is a lot of $$ but I totally would have paid for it. 

No comments: