Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Started School Today

Today we started school. Monkey has been begging me to start for a few days now so I figured we would give it a go. We always start out the year a bit slow to get everyone back in the groove. We do do some things over the summer but they are more relaxed and here and there so it takes some time for us to get back into the swing of things.
 We started with math. All 3 boys use Singapore math US edition. Singapore Math Monkey started with 1A, Cat Boy with 2A, and The Boy is in the middle of his 4A book. When Monkey finished I gave him my phone and had him start tracing letters and numbers using the Handwriting Without Tears (HWT) app I have on my phone while I worked with the other 2. When he got bored with that I put some Leap Frog videos on for his letters on Netflix. We just use Netflix for streaming and it is really great. There is even a Homeschooling with Netflix group on Facebook. Homeschooling with Netflix.
 Next it was time for Science. We have been using R.E.A.L Science by Pandia Press for a few years now and LOVE it! R.E.A.L Science Odyssey There is a ton of great experiments that really keep the kids engaged. I am using the same book for all 3 kids. This year we are doing Earth and Space. Since I could not find our thermometer to do the first experiment on Weather, I went and found a short video on Amazon Prime about how they predict the weather. Then I ordered a new thermometer on Amazon with Amazon Prime. I absolutely LOVE Amazon Prime and if you don't already have it try it out. They have some promos with Amazon Mom and Amazon Student.
 That was all we managed to do today. I am waiting on a few more books to come in before we have everything we need to start, but since we start out slow anyway it is ok. We also need to finish setting up the school room since we are moving it from its own room into the basement. However if I waited for that to get done we would NEVER start school.

No comments: